Friday, February 17, 2012

L2. ) My Fears (However irrational they may be)

I have one major fear in life which can be classified as a mild form of iatrophobia, or fear of doctors.  While I am not directly afraid of the doctor in most situations, I get extremely stressed out and nervous before going, only being able to focus on that visit.  I have white coat hypertension and an extreme fear of getting shots.  White coat hypertension is the fear of getting your blood pressure taken by a doctor or another medical professional.  Sports physicals are always an issue, and at the doctor's offices it used to be very difficult to calm down for them to get an accurate reading.  Getting shots is also very difficult for me to do.  The worst experience of my life was when I had to get a shot last year.  I was sitting in the room waiting for the nurse to come in and give me a shot, and I was feeling pretty confident.  However, when the nurse walked in I saw that she was wearing an eye-patch.  Convinced that her depth-perception was off, I freaked out and it was impossible to get the shot done.  It was a terrible experience. 

I am also mildly afraid of seagulls because of an experience I had in Disney World about four years ago.  My family was sitting in Epcot, and we were grabbing some food while we were in "Mexico".  We were sitting down at the table, and my parents went to grab silverware.  They left me all alone with the food at the table, and I began to start eating my taco.  However, before I was able to even begin to eat the taco, a seagull swooped down and began to harass me.  I was terrified, and began to scream.  It tried to peck me, and then it took my taco.  I was not going to object to it at this point though, because when they are that close to your face they are incredibly scary.  This experience traumatized me for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment