Thursday, November 17, 2011

My favorite book!


I have many favorite books that I've read and reread throughout my life, but if I have to choose, I'd say that my favorite book of all time is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.  I loved reading it for the first time in class, and over the summer I read it again.  I enjoyed it just as much the second time as I did the first.  It was a book that I didn't mind taking the time to read outside of class, as well as discuss it with my classmates.  I was actually excited to go into English the next day to read the next chapter or section.  Salinger writes it in such an interesting way, that it makes it unique.  It is very different from many of the other books that I read, and that is why I thing that it stands out in my mind.  The novel is about a boy named Holden Caulfield.  Holden is full of attitude and negativity. In the beginning, he is looking back on a past event from the prior year where he gets kicked out of Pencey Prep boarding school for failing his subjects.  Instead of waiting around until the break to go home and tell his parents, he decides to go to New York City by himself.  He spends a lot of time on his own at first, running into people he knows along the way.  He is on a downward spiral and wants to run away permanently, but decides against it along the way after spending some time with his little sister, Phoebe, who makes him come to many important realizations.  Throughout the novel, Holden tries to protect innocence and becomes increasingly frustrated by all of the corruption.  He finally realizes, through time with his little sister, that he cannot put himself in charge of protecting the innocent from the real world.  He must let them learn for themselves.  This lifts a large burden off of him, and may have even been key in getting on with his life.  It keeps the reader interested the whole time, and can teach them an important lesson on growing up. Everyone should read this book at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment