Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thanksgiving Traditions!

My family has many traditions for the Thanksgiving Holiday, although they are more unstructured than most traditions of other families.  Usually, my family gets up in the morning and eats a light breakfast together.  Then, we usually just relax around the house.  My Dad and I will watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade together for the first fifteen minutes until we get tired of it.  This is one of those things that happen every year that isn't really a tradition, but recurs anyways.  At around one o'clock, my family goes over to my Aunt's house in Lockport to say hello.  We don't actually eat here though, because they invite so many people that it gets chaotic.  We usually stop in for about an hour to say hello and spread the Thanksgiving cheer.  After this, we head straight to my Grandparents' house.  Here I am able to see all of the family that I usually don't get to see.  We are usually there for about an hour before dinner is served.  My Grandma assigns seats for everyone and puts a piece of chocolate next to the name tag.  It's best to eat the piece of chocolate before dinner though, because if a person waits too long, one of the younger family members will most likely take it or touch it, which is pretty disgusting.  Everyone then sits down to dinner and eats as much as possible.  My Grandma makes all of the usual Thanksgiving foods including turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, vegetables, cornbread, and cranberry sauce.  It is all delicious.  Everyone eats until they are beyond full, and then has a slice of pie on top of that.  After all of the holiday festivities, my cousins and I play Apples to Apples to end the night, which is my favorite game.  Overall, I think Thanksgiving is a great holiday spent with family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment