Thursday, October 13, 2011

A.P. Literature and Composition

When most people think of an advanced placement course, they think of a lot of tough, strenuous work in a subject that they have no interest in.  Although there is a lot of work and some things are a bit difficult, I find the A.P. class that I am taking now, Literature and Composition, to be my most enjoyable class this year so far.  I love reading and thinking about what I read, and we do a lot of that in this class.  However, at first, I was really worried that I would not enjoy this class.  This was due to the fact that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain was our summer reading assignment.  The book seemed long at first, and was difficult to read and interpret.  The characters bothered me, and overall, it just wasn't a very enjoyable read.  Although the book wasn't my favorite, I really liked writing the journal that went along with it, and it made the experience a little better.  It helped with the interpretation of the novel, and I got more out of it than I thought I would.  The first novel that we actually read in class, however, is now one of my favorite books.  The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was terrific and very different from the other novel.  I liked how we talked about it in class, and dissected it to find the deeper meaning of things.  The novels that we have yet to read also seem very interesting, and I am really excited to read those.  I also really like the Socratic Seminars that we have.  They are a great way to hear different viewpoints about the novel and to ask questions that I may have about what I read.  I love reading and talking about what I read, and think that this class allows me to do this.  I'm glad that I have it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment