Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Best Packed Lunch

Without a doubt, the best packed lunch that I bring to school is a pita pocket with an apple, carrots and hummus, and a container of tabouli.  Of course, this lunch is made the night before as it can sometimes be very involved.  Often times, my mom also has to help me because I have not mastered the art of pita pocket making.  The tabouli is usually made ahead of time by my mom, who usually just keeps some in the refrigerator because it's a good, quick lunch to have on hand.  It's also one of my favorite foods.  Usually, tomatoes and feta cheese are added to it along with the normal spices, which is really good.  In the pita pocket, I usually put pepper jack cheese, Italian dressing, and some sort of green such as sprouts.  Sometimes if we have avocados, I put some of that into a pita pocket with sprouts and some salt instead of my normal favorite.  I never put lunch meat into a pita because I don't like lunch meat.  Thinking of how it sits in my locker all day with only an icepack to keep it fresh really freaks me out, and that's all I think about when I eat it during lunch.  I don't like the way that it looks either.  An apple and some carrots with hummus are usually added along with the rest of the lunch to complete it.  However, during advisement, I usually eat the apple as a snack.  Some people might not like this lunch because it is too healthy, but I love to eat organic, fresh fruits and vegetables.  They give me the energy to get through the school day, the sport that I am playing at that time, and all of my homework after.  It's definitely a great treat to be able to have this for lunch every once in a while!

1 comment: