Thursday, April 19, 2012

O3.) Gone Fishing

Over this past Spring break, I took a vacation down to Georgia with my family.  We stayed on St. Simons Island off the coast of Southern Georgia and had a great time.  The house was beautiful, the town was great, and the weather was fantastic.  Overall, it was a really great time.  We spent most days at the beach, but on Thursday, my dad decided that he wanted to take my brother and I deep sea fishing.  None of us have any experience whatsoever in this, but we thought we would give it a try.  My dad hired a captain to take us out for the morning and help us learn what to do.  I was a little nervous and skeptical of my skills, but thought being out on the water would be fun.  Eventually I figured out what I was supposed to do and it was actually really fun!  The first fish I caught was a seven inch whiting.  I became very attached to it and was really sad when the captain decided to use him as bait.  I don't know why I thought that I would be able to just let him go back in the water and continue to swim on his way, but I did.  After I caught this fish, we didn't catch anything for the next half hour.  Then, my brother got a bite on his line.  We could tell that it was really big because of how difficult it was to reel it in.  As it turns out, it was a bull shark, one of the most aggressive species of sharks in the world.  It was kind of terrifying, but my dad made me stand next to it to get a picture before we threw it back.  It is the most awkward picture of my brother and I ever taken.  Before we finished for the day, I managed to catch a Dogfish, another species of shark, and a Hammerhead shark.  I thought it was really weird that we weren't able to catch anything but sharks, but overall, it was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment