Monday, April 23, 2012

P1. The Television

There is no doubt that television impacts everyone that has ever seen it in some way.  It is how that person chooses to allow it to affect them that makes the difference.  I, myself, do not watch much television on a day to day basis.  Sometimes I even go weeks without turning it on.  I often feel as though my time isn't well spent after watching television for a long time.  The commercials tend to bother me, and eventually, I get too impatient while waiting for the program to come back on.  However, there are some things that I do enjoy watching from time to time.  I am a big hockey fan, and love to watch a Sabres or a Penguins game after dinner if I have nothing else important to do.  I also like to watch a few other shows, but usually I watch them on Netflix.  I like The Office, Sherlock, and The Big Bang Theory.  I also love watching the shows Chopped, Cupcake Wars, Apartment Hunters, and other stuff on the Travel Channel.  I am not a big fan of a lot of the major reality TV shows like Jersey Shore, and rarely if not never watch them.  I do watch some TV, but I try to limit my time in front of it and never let it come before more important things, such as schoolwork.  My family is very similar to me in that regard.  My dad watches no TV unless there is a sports game on, my mom only watches the news, and my brother watches Netflix for the most part.  We have televisions in our rooms as well as a few downstairs, but they are not overused.  During dinner or a big family event, they are always turned off.  Television is not necessarily a bad thing when exposure time is limited.  It can even be educational if watching a documentary or something in that respect.  However, a lot of what is on isn't very good.  The advertisements draw people in, and it can send the wrong message to a large group of people at once.  People need to be able to look at what they are watching objectively instead of buying into everything they see or hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment