Monday, March 5, 2012

M3.) The Most Embarrassing Moment of my Life...

The most embarrassing moment of my life occurred my freshman year in high school while I was on the French trip to Italy and France.  We had just gotten to our hotel in Nice, France after a long day of travel all the way from Florence.  It was around five o'clock, and we were supposed to bring our stuff up to the hotel room and get ready for dinner.  There were a lot of people checking into the hotel at this time, and it was a little bit chaotic.  The elevator was really small so there was a huge line to use it.  Our tour group was in the line, and I was the last one.  There was another group of people behind us, and I thought that they were speaking a different language, presumably French seeing as though we were in France.  I had been looking forward to speaking French the whole trip and having a conversation with someone.  I thought that this was finally the chance to prove to myself that I was capable of this.  When I turned back around, the rest of the group was gone, and there was only one guy left.  Thinking that maybe I could have a nice, friendly conversation with him and possibly make a friend, I said "Bonjour, Ca Va?" meaning "Hello, How are you?"  Instead of him engaging in polite conversation with me, he said "What?  No, no, no, I'm American," with a rude tone.  All I could manage to say was "Oh, okay."  I turned back around and waited in line for what seemed like forever.  Finally, i was able to get on the elevator, but as it turned out, the embarrassment was not over.  He and I had to share the smallest elevator on the planet four floors up to our room.  We just stood there in complete silence while listening to some sort of French elevator music.  Then, we got out and ended up walking down the same corridor of the hotel.  We didn't say a word to each other, and I finally got to my room.  Luckily, I never saw him again.  It was definitely an awkward, embarrassing experience for me, but when looking back on it, I can see some humor in the situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment