Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Q3. The Best Book I Ever Read for School

I normally like all of the books we read for classes in school, but there have been a few that are truly memorable that I consider some of my favorites of all time.  One of my favorites has to have been The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.  Actually, no; I’m just kidding about that.  It would have been pretty surprising, though.  My real favorite book has to be The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  It’s such a wonderful novel, and I think that everyone should read it at some point.  It has sparked a love of all of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s work, which I will continue to read more of in the future.  I could read his literature over and over again without getting sick of it.  It promotes so much discussion and debate, and I love how he has so many deep ties to the characters in his work, modeling them after different aspects of his own life.  The plot of his novels and the detail he puts into them makes them one of a kind. 
In The Great Gatsby, Nick Carraway, who just moved to Long Island (West Egg to be exact), meets his next door neighbor, Jay Gatsby, who, coincidentally, has been in love with Nick’s cousin, Daisy Buchanan, for years.  He is a completely different person now, and really wants to see her again.  She lives in East Egg, but he is afraid to go see her because she is married.  Nick helps set them up, which is where the problems begin.  Daisy is such a confusing, flawed character, which is amplified by Gatsby’s elusiveness.  Nobody knows who Gatsby really is, which tends to cause a lot of people to suspect him of some shady business.  Nick is the one to finally put the mystery together and find out who he truly is.  Gatsby’s obsession with Daisy and his past ultimately cause his demise toward the end of the novel, which has a profound effect on those around him. 
It may end tragically, but it is definitely one of the best pieces of literature I have ever read.  It is definitely worth reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment