Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Q4.Cultural Icons

In the dictionary, an icon is "a picture image, or other representation that has a greater meaning."  I think that this is only one side of what a cultural icon truly is.  A cultural icon is someone that is recognized as a symbol for something greater by a large majority of people.  They could be known for their good choices or their not so good choices.  I think that it all depends on what they surround themselves with.  I, myself, do not have one cultural icon.  Sure, there are certain aspects of people that I admire, but I don't really follow them specifically.  For example, I admire the singer Lana Del Rey for all of her hard work and singing ability.  She has worked her way up to the top all by herself, starting her career in little cafes and clubs around New York City.  Now, she has made it big, scoring gigs on Saturday Night Live.  She has a real name for herself, and one to be proud of by living life according to her standards.  I also appreciate her being from New York State.  While I admire her for this, I don't share a lot of the same goals or objectives as her, making it hard for me to relate.  I guess that's what my problem is a lot of times when people ask me this question; how am I supposed to relate to a person and look up to them if they have such a different life than me?  I guess it's a good thing for many young kids and teens to have a role model or several role models that fit the bill and are good influences for them to look up to.  I just have never been able to find that one icon that I can say that about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment