Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/8/11 Summer Vacation

   The summer of 2011 was a very busy but rewarding past couple of months.  Throughout the month of July, I worked for the summer recreation program in Alden as a Lifeguard and Swim Instructor.  Although it was very challenging at some points, overall it was a great experience.  The kids were fun to work with, and I learned a lot of things that will continue to help me throughout my life.  I spent several weekends during this time going to visit colleges that I am interested in.  It was a really good experience for me because I was able to figure out what I liked and didn't like in a college.  I also was able to talk to people about different programs and majors to figure out what I'm really interested in.  Because of these trips, I have my choice of colleges narrowed down considerably, with my top choice being Boston University.  Even though I was very busy this summer, I still had plenty of time to spend with my friends and family.  During the second week of August, my mom, dad, brother, and I took our annual trip to the Adirondacks.  I always look foreward to this trip because of how beautiful and peaceful it is at this time of year.  Everyday I was able to go for a run in the morning as well as go swimming in the lake.  We also did quite a bit of kayaking, which is one of my favorite activities to do while we are there.  This year, my dad also decided to try something new and rent a speed boat.  It was definitely a different experience than the usual kayaking trips, but it was very enjoyable.  I became a professional waterskier by the time we had to take it back.  By the end of the week, I was ready to go home and spend the rest of my summer in the company of friends before the start of my senior year. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy kayaking as well, Madeline!! I used to kayak every summer at my uncle's cabin in Pennsylvania, but I actually haven't done it in a while. I sense a kayaking date in our future!

    ReplyDelete